It's not just about the dog itself, but the relationship you have with it!

ForPaws Helps Corgis and Corgi Mixes


Dedicated to Bart, who had the Most Beautiful Tail

"It's very simple. Dogs and cats and other talented animals have tails; their tails, with their thousands of flourishes, provide them with a wonderfully complex language of arabesques, not only for what they think and feel and suffer, but for every mood and vibration in their feeling tone. We have no tails, and since the more lively among us need some form of expression, we make ourselves paintbrushes and pianos and violins..."

Hermann Hesse


Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bart - So many Kind Wishes



In the past couple days we've received so many kind messages and blog comments, offering comfort and support for our loss of Bart. Thank you all. 

Today I was wishing that Bart could be young again and have another ten years ahead of him. Everywhere I look I am reminded of Bart. He used to inspect my shoes each morning to see if I was putting on the ones that meant I'd stay at home, versus those that took me away. It was obvious that he approved of those that kept me with him during the day. If the shoes required tying, he'd come and nudge me as I sat on the floor so I'd pet him instead of tying the laces. 

I remembered how fast he could run and how far he could jump. And how beautiful it was to see him sail through the air so effortlessly and with such grace. Thankfully, there are millions of those memories.

Sadly, there is no magic to turn back time and we must all go forward.  Knowing that there are others out there thinking good thoughts for Bart and for us, and truly understanding how painful this has been, is helpful.

We have received many lovely messages, including these:

Edie lit a candle in Bart's honor.


We are fortunate to have a wonderful veterinary practice near us. Dr. Kent Littlehale, Dr. Jennifer Lawrence and vet techs Andrea, Mica, Rachel, Lauren, Julie, and Mama Julie have lovingly and diligently cared for Bart from the time he joined our household eleven years ago.  

Yesterday Dr. Littlehale helped Bart over the Bridge around 9:00AM.  In the afternoon, this card arrived, accompanied by the flowers above. Moe and I were incredibly touched. There are no words to express our gratitude.



4 comments:

dreameyce said...

That card is beautiful, and made me tear up.

Much strength, and happiness to you. Having a close friend like Bart can be such bitter sweet.

Elbeepem said...

Emily,

Thanks for your comment. I was stunned by the kindness of the vet and his staff. They've always been great to work with.

Yes, investing your heart in a creature with a shorter lifespan is a big gamble. But the many gifts of the past 11 years with Bart have made it a "no brainer," in spite of the pain associated with losing him.

Traci said...

Aw man, the tears are flowing again Kathy...! I know how dear Bart was, and always will be, to you... and how special that the vet staff knew as well! He will never be forgotten, and thankfully, I will always remember him in his younger, rambunctious years!! :) Hugs!!

Elbeepem said...

Traci,

Yes, thankfully he was pretty rambunctious for most of his life! I'm glad you got to know him.

Hugs,
Kathy
And kisses from Denali to 'Kota!