It's not just about the dog itself, but the relationship you have with it!

ForPaws Helps Corgis and Corgi Mixes


Dedicated to Bart, who had the Most Beautiful Tail

"It's very simple. Dogs and cats and other talented animals have tails; their tails, with their thousands of flourishes, provide them with a wonderfully complex language of arabesques, not only for what they think and feel and suffer, but for every mood and vibration in their feeling tone. We have no tails, and since the more lively among us need some form of expression, we make ourselves paintbrushes and pianos and violins..."

Hermann Hesse


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bart-Dinner becomes a Challenge

Having an ancient dog with some sort of mystery stomach issue proves a real challenge when feeding. 

Bart tells me he's hungry. He comes roaming in the kitchen, clearly looking for food.

Here's the trick: When I give him food, he walks away. At meal time, here's what my counter looks like. I try all of his favorites. From one meal to the next, you never know what he will eat. Many times it is nothing. It is clear to me that his stomach is upset and it is causing food to seem distasteful to him. Nonetheless, he is hardly eating 1/8 of his normal daily quotient. 

I know that the meds I give him have the side effect of depressing appetite. Sigh... But without them he was unable to process his food properly...a real "no win." Ideally he will rally and be able to eat without the meds. But he's 16 years old and it may not happen this time. Time will tell.

Tonight he FINALLY ate some fresh cooked salmon (but only if it had the skin on it!). Needless to say, I was thrilled that he ate something, but I know it isn't enough. He's slowing down. There is a mystery bacteria at work here and we're unable to identify it. Gradually Bart is weakening and I know he hasn't much time left. In the meantime, if it means fresh salmon...so be it!

No comments: