It's not just about the dog itself, but the relationship you have with it!

ForPaws Helps Corgis and Corgi Mixes


Dedicated to Bart, who had the Most Beautiful Tail

"It's very simple. Dogs and cats and other talented animals have tails; their tails, with their thousands of flourishes, provide them with a wonderfully complex language of arabesques, not only for what they think and feel and suffer, but for every mood and vibration in their feeling tone. We have no tails, and since the more lively among us need some form of expression, we make ourselves paintbrushes and pianos and violins..."

Hermann Hesse


Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bart - Age One Hundred and something...


On September 5, 1997 we brought him home. Bart was a 5-year-old rescue dog without a past. A Corgi/Australian Shepherd mix, with the personality of the Aussie, he quickly picked his person...me. 


For 11 years we've been inseparable. He follows me everywhere and has accompanied me through many changes. Incredibly smart, sweet and dedicated, Bart is my Best Friend. Inspiring my efforts to rescue others, Bart is the Poster Dog for ForPaws Corgi Rescue and is responsible for saving literally hundreds of canine lives, and a few human ones, as a result.


Now at age 16, his time draws near. He's old, he's ill and his quality of life is no longer what it should be. I am having terrible trouble saying goodbye. I can't imagine what it will be like when my shadow is no longer always present. This weekend has been heart wrenching. Bart has slept through most of it. 


Today he stopped eating. It is time and I won't let him suffer. I will miss him more than words can convey and his soft, wise spirit will forever be with me. 

I never thought I could love a dog this much, but I do.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They live holes in our hearts, remember him on his best day.

dreameyce said...

I'm so, so sorry :( I don't even want to imagine the day that this happens to my Traum.

He's a beautiful boy, and you can see the loyalty, and devotion in his face.

starrynights said...

Letting them go is never easy. Rest well sweet Bart and be free from your pain.

You will have lots of company from others who have gone before you.

Traci said...

Oh Kathy, my heart aches for you my friend... I wish there were something I could say that would help ease your pain, but I know better. Know that I'm here for you, as you were there for me in one of my darkest hours... *hug*

penni said...

We give our hearts to these dogs -- and they never disappoint. Caring for them to the end is the very best we can do. No matter the pain of letting them go, they go with our love. The memories of your good times will stay with you forever.

Elbeepem said...

Thank you all for your insightful comments and good wishes. I am not sure exactly when it will be, but it will be soon. This is very, very hard.